[Qgis-developer] QGIS on Maemo/Nokia N900

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sat Nov 14 08:16:50 EST 2009

Thanks to all who answered so far.

Tim: the N900 is a mobile phone. Past devices for the maemo platform
came without phone support,  but the N900 is really a phone (UMTS, GPRS,
Edge, WCDMA, HSPA, WLAN). The N900 can also be used for tethering
(internet connection for laptop). It also seems to support various
connectors: USB, Bluetooth, TV out, etc.
http://www.nokia.ch/produkte/alle-modelle/nokia-n900/funktionen
(probably you have to switch to your local webpage)

A separate GUI for mobile devices would be great. It should have reduced
functionality and maybe the touch-screen interface requires different UI
approaches, because touching is not that accurate than mouse-pointers or
pens. I think it would be useful to collect a list of expected
functionality for mobile phones, maybe on the Wiki:

I can start here what I would expect from QGIS for smartphones:

* a usable UI for touch-screens
* basic map display and navigation
* moving map with link to GPS
* GPS recording and playback
* support for georeferenced photos and videos (the N900 has photo/video
support)
* basic editing (mainly point features, points of interest)
* Spatialite support (for offline use)

This is just a starter ;-) but it is clear that it needs some time to
get to a usable state.

Andreas