[Qgis-developer] Release checklist for 1.4 'Enceladus' now available

Sat Nov 28 18:06:49 EST 2009

Dear QGIS Users, Translators, Developers, Documentors and other
interested parties...

The year is drawing to a close and its been an extremely productive
one as far as QGIS goes. So what do you say we finish it with a bang
and get QGIS 1.4 out the door? At the Vienna hackfest we agreed to go
into feature freeze once Martin's new symbology and labelling goodies
made it into trunk. I would like to propose the following timings to
get 1.4 released:

29 November 2009 - Announce release checklist availablity
1 Dec 2009 - Feature Freeze Commences
14 Dec 2009 - String Freeze Commences
21 Dec 2009 - Branch for Release & Call for packaging
31 Dec 2009 - Release of QGIS 1.4 Enceladus

The checklist for the release is now online at
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Release_Checklist_1.4

A few important things:

- I would like to make QtWebKit a build requirement. This means a
minimum Qt version of 4.4. Does anyone have any objections? Milena is
going to be helping to get the context help written for all dialogs
(Milena you still ok for this?) and I would like to use a decent CSS
and attractive looking html on the context help viewer - which is not
really possible currently with help viewer text control we have at the
moment. Any objections?

- If you are an application translator, please note that you do not
need to wait for the string freeze before starting your translation
updates. The string freeze is only there to give you a small window
before the release to finalise your translation work without worry
that one of the developers is going to change the text again.

- Symbology-ng legends do not currently work in the map composer (nor
do the new labels). Is this something that can be sorted out easily?
Do we want to delay the release shedule until it is resolved? Or
release regardless (with symbology ng and labels marked experimental)?

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net