[Qgis-developer] shapefiles: deleting columns

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 12:17:07 EST 2009

2009/11/24 Giovanni Manghi <giovanni.manghi at gmail.com>:
> Hi Jürgen,
>

>> Yes.  OGR doesn't support deletion of fields.  Table manager copies the table.
>> See also [1].
>>
>> Jürgen
>>
>> [1] http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1934
>

> I see. Hopefully the patch will be applied soon(?), it is one year old.

As Frank W has written, it would require a RFC for GDAL and maybe some
more updates to make him happy to apply the changes. Personally quite
busy nowadays so if there won't be anyone else to make such effort, it
might take quite a while...

> Meanwhile, why not using the table manager approach in qgis?

That would be rather a big hack and I would prefer not to introduce new hacks...

Martin