[Qgis-developer] Plugins unification. Was: native file dialogs

Borys Jurgiel borysiasty at aster.pl
Wed Oct 7 15:09:42 EDT 2009

Dne středa 07 října 2009 19:57:13 Paolo Cavallini napsal(a):
> John C. Tull ha scritto:
> > That would be great to get more ui consistency in the application. It
> > can be confusing at times with different types of dialogs popping up.
>
> Right. BTW, more consistency would also be good among plugins: not only
>  file dialogs, but adding to canvas, remembering last path etc. are often
>  different. Would it be difficult to write guidelines and ask py devs to
>  follow them? Thanks.

You're abolutely right. Probably all we need is to choose the best practice
from all the existing already and adjust another plugins to this one. So the
most important points are:

1. Cleaning up the two possible behaviours:
-a plugin creates a new shapefile and asks for adding it to the canvas
-a plugin creates only a memory layer and adds it to the canvas

2. Choosing common Settings keys for storing last used:
- input directory,
- output directory,
- input encoding,
- output encoding (they should differ as one can often open windows-encoded
dbfs and want to save them in utf)
- postgres connection
- spatialite connection
- surely something more

3. Plugin categories and grouping in menus and toolbars (should be discussed,
especially integrating all the datasource plugins with the native 'File'
toolbar and the 'Layer' dropdown menu)

4. Some kind of unified look and feel of plugin dialogs.

5. What more?