[Qgis-developer] Re: SVG export

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Oct 9 17:34:52 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I also think that better import/export of SVG graphics would help
interoperability with other graphics software. Proper import/export
from/to Inkscape, Illustrator and Corel is important.

On the import side it would be good if Inkscape files would import
without problems into the QGIS map layout. On the export side it would
be good if the export would be properly clipped and would contain more
"structure": layers, ids for certain elements, less empty/unnecessary
<g/> elements, proper support for vector symbols (not rasterized), etc.

The problem is that most of our desired features aren't supported in the
qt SVG library. Furthermore, qtSVG is limited to SVG tiny - which causes
all the problems with the text elements (dx/dy not supported, etc.)

The best solution would be to patch qtSVG to do what we want - but we
have to be aware that it may take a while until our improvements would
make it into the standard qt distribution. By improving qtSVG also other
project that use qt for profit from our improvements.

Just recently returned from the SVG Open 2009 conference in California
where also other projects relying on qt (e.g. Fritzing) complained about
suboptimal SVG support: see
http://www.svgopen.org/2009/papers/33-SVG_in_Fritzing_a_Case_Study/ - so
maybe we could also team up with other projects relying on SVG support
in qt.

Looking forward to discuss these issues in Vienna.

Andreas