[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] Congratulations to all :-) and some comments for the hack fest

Agustin Lobo alobolistas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 06:09:48 EDT 2009

I share your enthusiasm and gratitude. I want to mention that
Raster gdal utilities are an impressive addition, perhaps not from a
developer point of view,  but it's a major step  forward in terms of
functionality  for users. Adding these
raster functionality to QGIS makes a qualitative difference.

In general terms, perhaps it's time for a certain level-off of different
functionalities in QGIS, as while there are some
very advanced tools (i.e. manageR) that cannot be found elsewhere,
there are few critically missing tools. Among them:

1. A raster algebra with  a natural syntax (i.e. like r.mapcalc), and,
as a second step, a GUI. The current implementation has such an odd
syntax that most
users using it early in their qgis learning would conclude that qgis is
too complex and odd for them.
As far as I know, Barry is not thinking on further developing this tool.

2. A table manager tool able to operate among columns. Meanwhile, some
kind of easy copy and paste
between an spreadsheet and qgis would be most helpful.

3. C++ implementation of the (vector) Tools, as a dissolve operation on
a complex layer
takes hours to complete in qgis while seconds with other software (i.e.
TNTmips) on
the same machine.

4. Improve the vector symbology system for continuous variables, in
particular adding a
color bar to interpret the meaning of the resulting colors.

5. Improve the raster symbology system for continuous variables, adding a
color bar to interpret the meaning of the resulting colors.

6. Improve the raster symbology system for categorical variables (often
used for landcover maps produced from satellite imagery by classification)
through a colormap, and adding a
color bar to interpret the meaning of the resulting colors. Note that
there are
several global-scale landcover maps in raster format in and the ability
of qgis to
provide a good display of those would be an excellent presentation card.

In my opinion, these 6 improvements/additions are critical for the
normal use of
QGIS as an operational GIS. Without them, I think we are still below the
minimum
set of requirements for a GIS, even if in other aspects QGIS is very
advanced.

Agus