[Qgis-developer] Patch Proposal #1974 Render caching

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sat Oct 24 08:40:40 EDT 2009

Hi

Marco Hugentobler wrote:
> Hi Tim
>
> Wow, this is really cool and speeds up rendering in many situations.
>
> Now that every layer has its QImage to paint on, it might be a possibility to
> render each in its own thread and have great performance on todays quad core
> machines.

I remember chatting to Martin about this at the last hackfest. His main
concern was that providers are not thread safe so we could run into
issues e.g. try to run two threads on the same ogr datasource.

I have further plans for the caching system to that can realise speed
improvements when panning and zooming in.

I guess from the feedback there are no objections to me committing this
patch.

Regards

Tim

> Regards,
> Marco
>
> Am Samstag, 24. Oktober 2009 00.41:39 schrieb Tim Sutton:
>> Hi Devs
>>
>> I've been working a little on implementing some render caching to make
>> QGIS feel more responsive and avoid unnecessary re-rendering of layers
>> when nothing has really changed.
>>
>> I've finished writing a simple caching mechanism and would like to ask
>> you to a) test and b) indicate if you are happy for this to go into trunk.
>>
>> The patch is here
>>
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/attachment/ticket/1974/qgis_rendercachepatch_v7
>> _23Oct2009.diff
>>
>> Note that caching is disabled by default - you need to enable it in the
>> Options dialog, rendering tab.
>>

>> Regards,

- --

 * QGIS programming and support services