[Qgis-developer] Composer grid issue

John C. Tull jctull at gmail.com
Fri Oct 30 11:11:53 EDT 2009

Marco,

I forgot to mention the lack of icon in the toolbar, but you must
already know this.

On Oct 30, 2009, at 3:22 AM, Marco Hugentobler wrote:

> Hi John
>
> Good to hear that the offset issue seems to be fixed now.
>
>> For some reason, my old project now crashes if I try to open in qgis.
>> I suspect this might be from changes in the composer structure for
>> qgs
>> files, but not certain.
>
> Oh, this should not happen. Project reading should be backwards
> compatible.
> Unfortunately, it does not crash with my test projects. Could you
> send me the
> project file for testing?

I will send you something separately, although there are too many big
files to send the base layers as well. Perhaps you can reproduce
without the map data.

>> 1) If there is no composer, the "Map Composer" menu item is empty.
>> Perhaps this should be a submenu under "File" rather than it's own
>> menu?
>
> I'll do that. Though the problem might be that users don't find it
> easily at
> this place. I'll wait what the feedback on the list is.

Yes, this sounds good. There was some conversation about trying not to
get too many main menu items. To me, having it under File would seem
fairly logical as Print functions are also there.

>> 2) If I try to close my composer window, I am confronted with a
>> dialog
>> that says, "Do you really want to remove the composer instance,
>> 'name'?" Canceling will keep the composer, but you have the window
>> occupying desktop space. If you say ok, the composer is gone for
>> good.
>> My expectation would be to close the window, receive no dialog, but
>> have that composer available under the "Map Composer" menu item.
>> Perhaps this is a work in progress.
>
> Yes, the behaviour is different now because it is possible to have
> multiple
> composers in a project. The composers are deleted on window close
> (similar to
> most apps that are deleted on main window close). Otherwise the user
> cannot
> get rid of composer instances. You could minimize the window to have
> more
> screen space.
> An option would be to have the close button and menu entry back that
> minimises
> (or even hides?) the composer window.

I suppose this will necessitate the use of template saving. I had been
content to simply have a composer "project" stored in the qgs file,
but will have to rethink my workflow. This is not an issue, just a
matter of fact.

Thanks,
John