[Qgis-developer] providing old binary packages

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Sep 3 16:32:42 EDT 2009

Hi Otto

Otto Dassau wrote:
> Hi,
>
> looking at the software download page for the development versions, it seems
> that all version 1.1 packages are missing, probably changed to version 1.2

Yes that was probably a cut and paste error by me.

> and versions 0.9, 0.10 and 0.11 are still listed as well.
>
> http://www.qgis.org/en/download/current-software.html
>
> Shouldn't we remove these older versions? I found that for several
> distributions and platforms, older devel and stable packages are not
> available anymore e.g. opensuse, Mac? Is this correct and how do we want to
> proceed here?

Funny I was thinking about this over the 1.2 release as well. I was
wondering if we couldnt make the download process simpler and have teh
current software page list only the most current dev release, the page
list the most current LTS packages and then an archive or similar page
listing older versions with a note saying that we dont guarantee if they
are still available.

However of course that means even more work (and I'd prefer to lean
towards making the release process simpler rather than more complex).
Ultimately I would like to automate this but until then I guess we
should just stick with how things are currently done and prune away dead
links as and when people bring them to our attention.

Regards

- --

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services