[Qgis-developer] Summer of code project

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 4 07:08:50 EDT 2010

Hi all

this year I'd like to participate as a student in Google Summer of
code. For the project, I would like to do various optimizations to
make QGIS a bit faster and more responsive.

My suggestions for improvements:
- do rendering in threads. This will allow QGIS to make use of
multiple processor cores and finish rendering faster.
- allow interaction with graphical interface while QGIS is rendering.
Currently one has to wait until the rendering is finished (or
interrupted) to continue. With this feature, QGIS canvas will keep
working when rendering and will stop/restart the rendering when the
canvas extent is changed.
- investigate where the bottlenecks are during rendering process and
propose solutions to make it faster. Implement improvements where the
scope of necessary work is feasible
- concurrent access to data providers: to allow more than one
iteration at once time on a vector layer. Not having concurrent access
limits the possible usage of threading as that might result in broken
outcomes
- optional caching of vector features in memory for faster drawing of
vector layers
- faster attribute table startup (indicator of loading, use caching)
- show load progress when adding layers?

I'm sure some of you will have some further suggestions for
improvements regarding speed ans responsiveness of QGIS. I would
appreciate any ideas. It's very likely that not everything could be
implemented during the summer, so I will try to order the items by
their importance, so the less important improvements will be
implemented only if the time will allow.

Cheers
Martin