[Qgis-developer] Simplify the download pages

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Apr 11 19:09:38 EDT 2010

Based on some feedback I've gotten from some users the download pages
are still too complicated and have too many choices. It's not clear to
anyone but advanced and involved users what the right thing to get is.

Suggestions:
Current version
Contains the latest features, but may not be bug-free. (If you're not
sure you probably want this version)

Long term support (LTS) version
Our long term support version with non-changing user interface and API.
(More common for corporate and organizational installs with software
restrictions or in-house custom development)

Drop Down to filter list based on Operating system so you're only
looking at options for the system you want to see. (There can be an all
option)

Anything older than the current 1.4, 1.0.2 should be in linked archive
or filtered out of the initial views. So maybe a version filter could
solve this with the defaults being current versions.

Simpler descriptions:
(Order Matters, Nightly build should not be the 1st on the list, ever)

Windows - Standalone : For novice users who need the basic GIS
functionality. More details(link to expand description, easy with js)

Windows - OSGeo4w : For intermediate/expert users who need additional
tools integrated, like GRASS and GDAL Tools. More details(link to expand
description) - For this type of install I think we need a wiki page
linked that walks people through the Advanced installer and explains
that "unstable" doesn't really mean it's going to crash all the time.

Nightly Trunk Builds : For Advanced users/Developers who want to
experiment with the latest features on a daily basis.

FYI: Formatting is messed up on
http://www.qgis.org/en/download/plugins.html
Besides that this page should say something like - QGIS contains several
tools to manage and download new plugin features. See ... for
instructions on downloading additional plugins (Or include how to use
python plugins directly on the page).

I'll be happy to help implement any of these.

Thanks,
Alex