[Qgis-developer] organizing plugins

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Thu Apr 29 07:08:28 EDT 2010

On 28/04/2010 17:34, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>> I'd like to throw in my $0.02 worth. One of the attractions of QGIS
>> compared to most other offerings (both proprietary and OSS) is its ease
>> of use for experts as well as first timers. And all the fancier
>> operations are accessible thru plugins.
>>
>> I wouldn't want the core interface to be stuffed full of additional
>> menus and buttons. But when activating a plugin I do expect the new
>> functionality to appear as a new menu - just like it works now.  In
>> other words, I'd prefer that most plugins do *not* become part of the
>> core application.
>>
> Micha,
>
> I don't fully agree with you. I think at least one third of the plugins

Yes, I gather that most devs want to see QGIS become more
"full-featured" out of the box.
> should be moved into the core. Don't you think that a standard GIS should
> offer:

Here's my opinion:
> * advanced labelling

That's part of the label properties, not requiring a change to the basic
GUI, so yes that could go into the core.
> * file format conversions

as a plugin
> * geoprocessing
> * raster operations (resampling, merging, reclassification, etc.)

plugin
> * importing text files

could be in core
> * simple CAD functionality

plugin
> * georeferencing
> * dxf reading/conversion

plugin
> * WFS support

yes, core functionality
> * GPS support

plugin
> * simple DEM calculations (aspect, slope, shading, curvature, etc.)

plugin
> out of the box without having to search for a plugin at various
> distributed resources?

Isn't this really trivially easy today?

--
Micha Silver