[postgis-users] [Qgis-developer] Fwd: WKTRaster Plugin 0.1

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 04:24:32 EST 2010

Hi Maurício
Ok; in order to get a nice plugin (probably better renamed to "PostGIS
Raster Plugin") it seems that we need a decision as well as some quick
attention from different "players".

What we want out of QGIS is (1.) displaying PostGIS tables with raster
data and (2.) adding a query before hand.
QGIS supports already GDAL as raster Layer source as well as PostGIS
(as vector source).
PostGIS Raster well be supported through GDAL but that seems to me
more complicated than supporting PostGIS raster directly.
How to best merge requirement 2 (query) into these two raster sources
from a user interaction (and plugin) point of view seems to be
discussed now.

> Actually the plugin was born in really speedy fashion. I think that at the
> moment it speaks for itself as it's actually very simple.
> I could test the UI on windows, if that's what you need, but to actually
> read the raster you need gdal recognizing postgis rasters so only for 1.7
> builds.

I like simple plugins (aka doing only one thing but right :->).

> That's why i was able to alter it on windows. I can test the plugin part. I
> can't test GDAL part.

For the GDAL and PostGIS Raster driver part, I think there's Frank
Warmerdam and Jorge Arevalo (Bcc'd).
For the QGIS release (incl. GDAL and new PostGIS raster driver?) it's
Tim Sutton.

> For the next request (a tool to process the queries), QGIS does have a
> really nice tool called RT_Sql to execute PostGIS SQL queries.
> I don't really know if I should bring a new tool to the application doing
> almost the same thing with just different datasources.

Right. So merge it with RT SQL Layer plugin?
Paolo and Guiseppe from Faunalia have published RT SQL Layer plugin (Bcc'd).

Yours, S.