[Qgis-developer] Re: Openlayers plugin and Virtual Earth (i.e.Bing Maps)

Noli Sicad nsicad at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 03:45:33 EST 2010

Hi Pirmin,

> I would try to omit the displayProjection in OpenLayers (as in
> http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/bing.html) and change the QGIS
> reprojection
> to EPSG:54004  or whatever Bing's projection is.

I deleted displayProjectiion and tried these codes.

a) projection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:3857"),
b) projection: new OpenLayers.Projection("EPSG:54004"),

No avail. It did not change the alignment. It still off.

There is example Spherical Mercator Layers, for overlaying Google,
Yahoo, Microsoft, and other layers with WMS and TMS tiles (below). But
the problem with this example, you can see the layers. It just one at
the time.

http://openlayers.org/dev/examples/spherical-mercator.html

I think this is the same problem with google - bing map  and wms - bing

http://www.mail-archive.com/openlayers-dev@lists.osgeo.org/msg00047.html

According to this post below, Bing uses EPSG:102113 same as EPSG:900913

http://geoux.wordpress.com/2009/07/31/bing-oh/

Another thing, I tried to digitise /trace bing map. The new shapefile
layer is funny. It will not follow the bing map projection, zooming
and unzooming the newly created shapefile layer is off from the object
being traced. While doing this in google map, it is working correctly.

Noli