Re: [Qgis-developer] MapInfo and QGIS – An overview « Nathans MapInfo and .Net Blog

Milo van der Linden milo at dogodigi.net
Tue Dec 7 11:55:49 EST 2010

Yes, nice comparison. Thanks Nathan for giving us this!

As a former MapInfo consultant, I can say that there is one more thing
qGIS lacks, well, not qGIS in particular but OGR: arcs. Besides that
it is a myth that mapinfo uses the same sql across all tables. You
simply have to convert every table to mapinfo's own file format in
order to work with it.

Performance is a minor issue in my opinion; if everything is a
shapefile, qGIS is almost as fast as MapInfo. MapInfo is particulary
malperforming with wms layers, wfs layers are almost impossible.