[Qgis-developer] Please vote : kCube Developer Poll

mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Thu Dec 23 05:35:15 EST 2010

Hi,

"we will try to find something more open friendly for the future - though
I dont know if such a thing exists."

Yes it does! The R language/statistical software has advanced statistical graphics capacity, cf. e.g.:

http://addictedtor.free.fr/graphiques/thumbs.php?sort=votes

Here, instead of a pie chart, I would suggest:
1) a bar plot in alphabetical order of categories, and
2) a Pareto plot (bar plot in decreasing order of vote)

I would save them in a single png file that would be displayed on the web page.
Optionally, to get interactive capacity, I would use the sendplot R package:
It allows to get nice customized call tips without using any browser addon (only html and standard ecmascript).

To implement this, the easiest I can thing of is (but there are other solutions):

Each time there is a new vote:
1- the page managing the vote adds the result of the vote to a plain text file
2- launch an R script (by a system/bash call)
The R script will do the following:
3- Read the results of the vote from the plain text file
4- Generates the plot(s), saving it in a png file in a folder of the web server
5- optionally adding interaction (saving relevant javascript file)

The steps 1 and 2 can be replaced by a direct call to R (there are R bindings from many web scripting languages).

I volunteer to do steps 3 to 5 if you are interested.
This requires to have R installed on the web server (it is packaged for most linux distribs).
Regards,
Mayeul