[Qgis-developer] Contributing to QGIS using git

Gary Sherman gsherman at geoapt.com
Tue Dec 28 11:33:17 EST 2010

On 12/28/10 7:14 AM, strk wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 27, 2010 at 08:16:27AM -0900, Gary Sherman wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> I have written up a short guide to contributing to QGIS using git and
>> the source code clone we have created on GitHub. This allows you to work
>> within your own distributed version control system and easily submit
>> your bug fixes and enhancements to the project without having to obtain
>> write permissions to the centralized SVN repository.
>>
>> See http://spatialgalaxy.net/2010/12/27/contributing-to-qgis-using-git/
>
> Uhm... sounds scary.
> As I've been doing git-svn for postgis [1] and geos [2] too I wonder
> how do you plan to import changes people submit to other git repo.
> Wouldn't all those commits need to be re-written for submission to
> SVN ?
>
> I mean, in case you'll ever use submitted changes, the public repositories
> used for requesting the pull _from_ would need to be rewritten to be
> in sync with git-svn, resulting in a mess. Or am I missing something ?
> (I'd love to be missing something )

The GitHub repo is in sync with the QGIS svn repo. We can pull changes
down to my local repo (it is able to pull/push from/to GitHub and also
SVN). So to accept a contribution, I would branch my local copy, pull
the changes, test, and merge back into master. Then use git-svn to
dcommit the changes into the centralized QGIS repo. Change get pushed
back to GitHub.

-gary

--
Gary Sherman