[Qgis-developer] embedded mapping component for Symbian Os devices

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 10:18:55 EST 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 9:17 AM, Smith Roman <autisi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am a java developer with basic GIS programming experience. I intend to start working on a mobile GIS solution (a simple GIS map viewer) I just started to take a look at Qt/C++. The language looks very promising especially for mobile or embedded systems development. I just went through the tutorial on the embedded mapping component.
>
> I will like to ask if the code in that tutorial can be ported to a Symbian Os device ? How feasible will it be to develop a WMS map viewer using the QGIS embedded mapping component for Symbian OS devices ?
>
> Is this feasible ? has anyone this before ? what are the challenges ?

Hi Roman,

having QGIS map canvas running on Symbian platform *should* be
possible. However I'm not aware of any effort done so far to make this
happen. If you're going to give it a try, you'll need to:
- get dependencies working on symbian: Proj4, GDAL, GEOS and Sqlite.
Some of them look easy [1], others feasible [2]. Generally all the
dependencies are projects with portable code, probably they'll need
some minor tweaks for the compiler
- get QGIS core and gui libraries working on symbian: this will also
probably need some small changes in build system

You've written you'd like to embed QGIS map canvas into your
application, so I guess you could skip the rest (e.g. QGIS
application, plugins, python support). How much time it would take
depends on your experience with build systems and porting to Symbian.
Of course you can always ask here on qgis-dev mailing list when trying
to sort out any compilation problems.

[1] http://sourceforge.net/projects/sqlites60/
[2] http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2009-January/019425.html

Regards