[Qgis-developer] [Fwd: Re: [SoC] Ideas on c++ project]

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Feb 26 15:31:46 EST 2010

On Fri, Feb 26, 2010 at 8:19 PM, Gary Sherman <gsherman at mrcc.com> wrote:
> On 2/26/10 7:57 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> Is some of the qgis-devs dealing with SoC? I think it would be worth the while.
>> All the best.
> I have mentored projects in the past and Anne G. has volunteered to do
> so this year as well. We need to get the GSOC ideas page on the wiki up
> and start adding ideas to it.

 Is there any interest in having a go at integrating the Sextante
toolkit? There's a thread on the mailing list from 2008 that died out
once it was pointed out that it was written in Java and obviously Qgis
aint got no Java devs.

 But I had a play with it last year and it has a standalone toolbox
system that just reads/writes gdal data sets, so a thin python wrapper
might work. It would give Qgis access to a huge number of algorithms
without having to worry about Grass and mapsets and all that:

http://forge.osor.eu/plugins/wiki/index.php?The%20algorithms&id=13&type=g

 The biggest hurdle I had was getting the toolbox to work at all. But
someone with java skills and plenty of time could probably do it.
Might be a GSoC project. I could mentor the python side (and probably
learn the java side)...

Barry