[Qgis-developer] Proposal: Add Qwt as a soft dependency for GPS integration

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Wed Jan 6 05:00:35 EST 2010

Hi All

Marco and I have been working on C++ based GPS integration into QGIS
core. The work has been sponsored by Navigo (http://www.gonavigo.ca/).

There are two parts:

- a gps background process that communicates with a GPS and extracts
nmea strings and then propogates them to any listing classes
- a user interface, implemented as a dock panel that shows position,
signal strength bar chart, satellite polar chart, options

Similarly to Martin's gps project, the gps ui can be used to capture
features (and attributes using the normal attribute dialog mechanism).
The ui part uses Qwt for the charting functions. I would like to
propose that we add Qwt5 as a soft dependency. If it is not present,
the GPS ui parts will not be built (the background process part will
still be built. Could you please let us know if you are happy for the
inclusion of this soft dependency - and the GPS code itself?

If on, the other hand, people are inclined to make Qwt a hard
dependency, that would be good to because I can then replace the
raster props dialog histogram with a better charting implementation.

Regards

Tim

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services