[Qgis-developer] Proposal: Add Qwt as a soft dependency for GPS integration

Marco Hugentobler marco at hugis.net
Thu Jan 7 07:12:52 EST 2010

Hi all

The non-gui part is in src/core/gps now. The code is experimental and I hope
to receive a lot of improvements :-)

There is a base class QgsGPSConnection, subclassed by QgsNMEA connection. So
it would also be possible to add support for non-NMEA connections by creating
new subclasses. QgsGPSConnection emits a signal (stateChanged) that contains
the last received data.
To query the gps connection in the background, there is the class
QgsGPSTrackerThread.

The code uses QExtSerial to access the serial port platform independently.
Currently, there is no support for USB devices. This could be implemented as a
new subclass of QIODevice.

Tim and I tested it successfully with our Garmin eTrex H devices, using an
usb-serial adapter cable.

To parse the individual nmea sentences, code from libnmea is used. The code is
directly included in the qgis sources, so no other hard requirement ;-) . From
what I see, it handles only the most important sentences, so there is also
space for further extensions here.

Looking forward for your comments, suggestions, improvements.

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler