[Qgis-developer] tabbed monitors

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 04:49:20 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 4:43 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Hi all.
> Any news about the possible development of a tabbed, multimap interface for qgis?
> We've been talking about this in Vienna, but I did not see an outcome of the discussions.
> All the best, and many thanks.

IIRC it's not clear how the tabbed interface should behave. Some of
the unanswered questions:
- one project per QGIS or one project per tab? (the first option
probably makes more sense)
- what differences should be allowed among tabs: allow different layer
sets, different layer visibility settings, different layer symbologies
- or use tabs only with different extents with the same data?
- how the legend will be affected? allow e.g. different active layer
for each tab?
- how the map tools should work? bound to one canvas or should they
interact with multiple canvases?
- how the plugins should behave? until now, there are only one map
canvas that plugin use. With multiple canvases, should plugin work
with just one canvas or with all canvases (tabs)?

There are probably some more unanswered questions, these are just the
ones from the top of my head. Probably other devs will add more
thoughts. Having answers would enable us to think about the
architecture. I think we're currently missing some practical use cases
how the users would like to use the tabbed interface.

Martin