[Qgis-developer] The new QGIS plugin repo

Borys Jurgiel borysiasty at aster.pl
Thu Jul 1 19:27:12 EDT 2010

Dnia czwartek, 1 lipca 2010 o 19:49:19 napisałeś:
> We're currently hosting 11 plugins at our repo. The process is fully
> automated and once set up the author only commits to svn, all the
> other steps are done automatically using post-commit hooks.
>
> As for moving, unsure yet. I'm a big fan of diversity and ability of
> any person not only create a plugin, but distribute it the way (s)he
> likes or even irrationally wants. Erik Raymond has a good essay about this
> on Lockean rights. It is additional stimulation for a opensource developer
> to realize that this is _his_ territory. Centralized plugin repo will
> technically be the same, but psycologically somewhat different.
>
> That said, I can see a lot of value for a new author in this system.
> I'd say keep all options and let natural opensource selection do its
> job. This will introduce some hassle for Borys, but I believe it worth
> it for QGIS growth as not only software, but community.

It's not a problem for me, but I believe hanging connections and error
messages are not the best way to growth of the community ;-) I agree we
(authors) fell better maintaining our own repositories, but we can't satisfy
such needs at the users' expense! :)

I see a sense in keeping your repository, what is always online, responsibly
managed and quite rich. But we have 11 external repositories added by the 'add
3rd party repos' button. Most of them contains 2-3 plugins and cause most
problems. Moreover, there are next 5 repos not included yet. It isn't fair
that they are treated worse, but the more repos I add, the more often problems
happen.

So the compromise would be to offer to authors of small repositories a more
convenient, robust and reliable solution and try to encourage them to join it.
This way we can limit the number of external repositories added by the button
to really necessary 3-5.

Other Authors will have a choice:
- to join the community repo
- to maintain their own, but not included by the button
- to maintain their own and justify it's reasonable to add it

I understand the need of diversity, but users should trust that clicking this
unfortunate button they won't be flooded by dozens unreliable repositories :)

> PS: I wrote a detailed description with scripts of our commit system
> sometime ago. If someone is interested (please use Google Translate
> panel on the left).
> http://gis-lab.info/qa/qgis-repo-update.html
> http://gis-lab.info/qa/qgis-repo.html

Гугле панель суцкс. Я давна не читал русские буквы, но я пытаюсь что-то понять
;)

Cпокойной ночи, goodnight!
B.