[Qgis-developer] Official and Contributed Repository Alternatives?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Fri Jul 9 11:57:20 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 4:08 PM, Jeff Ruby <jgr007 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are there any alternatives to the QGIS Official and Contributed Plugin
> Repositories?  I have not been able to connect to them for months.  I
> think my office my be blocking them.  Are there mirrors or other ways
> to download plugins?

 Plugin repositories are just web sites that serve up a zip file which
the plugin manager unzips in a plugin library folder.

 The Repositories tab of the plugin tool "Fetch Python Plugins" lists
the URL for each repository - if you can't get there with your web
browser outside of qgis then that's probably your office firewall
(assuming your internet access works for other stuff) and good luck
with that.

 If your web browser works but qgis doesn't get plugins it may be that
you have to use a web caching proxy to get off-site. There's settings
for that in the qgis options: Edit, Options, network and proxy. I
can't tell you what you need to put here!

 If web browser works, you can just download the zips and manually
unpack them in your qgis plugin folder.

 Oh and everything is being changed for plugins in Qgis 1.next :)

Barry