[Qgis-developer] PyQGIS working script / demo

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 15:45:54 EDT 2010

Hi

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 2:47 AM, Noli Sicad <nsicad at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Anybody using PyQGIS cookbook?
>
> http://www.mapserver.sk/~wonder/qgis/html/

please note that this location is temporary. Once the cookbook will be
a bit more complete, it will be moved to qgis site.

> It seems the cookbook gear towards advance developers who know a lot
> of the qqis api and python.

Actually the intent was to introduce the QGIS API, so it probably fails :-/
I expect that someone wanting to interface qgis from python has some
python knowledge - there are many tutorials for python.

> Has anybody has a working demo / script using pygis to share? I am
> particularly interested in rendering spatialite geometries in map
> canvas. However, postgis rendering in map canvas or any script will do
> as well.

Sure, I have various scripts, though most of them are for some
specific data processing.

The cookbook shows how to load a spatialite layer and shows how to use
map canvas widget. It just doesn't show how to combine the layer and
canvas in a simple script. Is that what you are missing?

> Any sample PyQt application that uses a simple pyqgis map canvas?

Some good and short examples can be found here:
http://blog.qgis.org/node/59

> I thnk some working python scripts that goes with PyQGIS cookbook
> would be good to keep us started, not to mention geoprocessing
> scripting in QGIS similar to ArcPy.

That makes sense. A bunch of simple and commented examples will surely
be handy for beginners.

Regards
Martin