[Qgis-developer] Re: Plugins with unsatisfied dependencies

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 05:13:03 EDT 2010

Hi Lionel

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Lionel Roubeyrie
<lionel.roubeyrie at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> change is made in 0.7.1 for the contour plugin.
> Is it possible to hope to see a little change in the plugin system
> where plugins devs have the possibility to append a more general
> description, not only in a single line? In this way, maybe a simple
> text/html file in the plugin package where can be specified
> dependencies, special attentions, descriptions, ... will be displayed
> by the python plugin installer on a double click or other but before
> the installation...

At some point in future, I'd like to have support for this metadata:
- dependencies: to allow the plugins list which packages they require
- author email: it's sometimes hard to reach the authors if their mail
is unknown
- url: web page dedicated to the plugin (already supported in
repositories, but not inside the plugins)
- icon: helps users to visually identify the plugin

IMHO supplying a text/html file would complicate things unnecessarily.
The plugin installer could allow the user to visit the plugin's URL -
that web page could contain exactly the information you would
otherwise had to pass along the plugin.

Regards
Martin