[Qgis-developer] bugfixing for 1.5

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Tue Jun 8 04:16:37 EDT 2010

Hi

With regards to release frequency, yes 2-3 month release cycle is
ideal. I have been living in an internet black hole the last while so
its has been difficult to do that, but I am moving to a new place and
will aim to go onto a 2-3 month cycle after that.

BTW according to our Vienna discussions there would be no more 1.x
releases after 1.5 since we were going to try to put out 2.0 by years
end. We were going to make 1.9.x test builds moving up to that
release. 2.0 would be a chance to do another api clean up and rip out
old stuff (e.g. old symbology). Is everyone still happy to progress in
this way or does this all sound like news to you, the hackfest having
receded into the fog of time? :-)

Regards

Tim

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 12:24 AM, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 2:12 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 10:04:06 +0200, Martin Dobias <wonder.sk at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I agree that the crucial bugs should be fixed before the release,
>>> however at the same time we should have a deadline so that the release
>>> won't be shifted indefinitely.
>>>
>>> The list of important bugs is a must. As Marco has already noted, the
>>> list has to be rather short (I suggest < 30 bugs) otherwise it will be
>>> impossible to get to zero bugs. I would add that the critical bugs
>>> must be confirmed by at least one more user and with clear
>>> descriptions.
>>
>> Agreed. How about:
>> - setting a new 1.6 tag
>> - moving all the tickets that obviously cannot be fixed soon to that tag (I
>> can do that)
>> - leaving the remaining tags to all main devs, who can choose autonomously
>> to either fix them or move them to 1.6
>> This way, no bugs will be left unnoticed, and we'll have a best compromise
>> between stability and frequency of release.
>
> This sounds like a good start towards the release...
>
> Martin

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux