[Qgis-developer] QGIS plugin repo [was: Value Tool]

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Jun 13 15:53:43 EDT 2010

On 06/13/2010 10:19 AM, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Il 12/06/2010 21:03, Maxim Dubinin ha scritto:
>> We also have number of important improvements for this plugin that we
>> use in house and it would be interesting to have an update on its
>> development status from the author.
>>
>> Maxim
>>
>> Вы писали 12 июня 2010 г., 13:48:13:
>>
>> JEF> I understand it's a 3rd party plugin, so we can't expect qgis
>> JEF> developers to fix that. Nevertheless does anyone knows if the
>> JEF> developer of this great tool is still on it or is it an abandoned
>> JEF> project? If so, maybe it would be a good idea to think on a
>> JEF> similar tool to be included on the next release. It's just that
>> JEF> making raster analysis without this tool can be very frustrating...
>
> Hi all.
> This brings another, more general question: how are going to deal with plugins? We
> have a number of them that, even if they're not official, are so useful and widely
> used we cannot afford missing. It has already happened several times now (and many
> more times will happen in the future) that someone can and wants to improve someone
> else's plugin, provide a patch, or simply to notify a bug. I think a trac is a
> necessity now.
> So I'm suggesting to open a separate trac, e.g. https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis-addons/
> Alternatively, this could be a separate branch of the current trunk.
> I can provide a script that automatizes plugin package generation from svn (we're
> using it for our Faunalia plugins since several months now).
> The only additional work for the admins would therefore be to grant selective access
> to the addons to interested devs, but that's not too bad (and I can help if nobody
> else has the time to do it). Of course any additional help is warmly welcomed.
> Please let me know your feelings about this proposal.
> All the best.

I've brought this up several times in the past too. Something similar to
http://trac-hacks.org would be great, especially if we can integrate it
with pyqgis.org so that you could click through the web to release a new
version to the xml repos.

I'll look into options, that would allow plugin authors or qgis devs to
grant access to plugins in an easy manner (through the web).

Would it make sense to do something more similar to github/bitbucket
where anyone can branch anyone else's stuff there just needs to be
cooperation to merge back?

Thanks,
Alex