[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] Sponsors and Donors

Micha Silver micha at arava.co.il
Mon Mar 15 15:38:05 EDT 2010

Gerry Creager wrote:
> Paolo Cavallini wrote:
>> Hi all.
>> We welcome several new donors, and the second sponsor. See the web
>> site for details.
>> Freshly compiled QGIS will show them also on the About window.
>> Thanks to them we will cover a part of the expenses for the next
>> hackfest. Every user
>> is encouraged to add their donation to reach a full coverage for the
>> event, and for
>> future ones.
>> All the best.
>
> Is anyone working to package QGis for RHEL/CentOS? That would make its
> use much easier for me (as it once was, but alas, not now). And THAT
> would make donation easier to live with.

It's not that easy. QGIS (like all GIS software) has a long list of
dependancies, many of which have jumped ahead of the versions in the
standard CentOS installation. So its' not just packaging QGIS, but many
software libraries as well. Just one example: QGIS now needs Qt4 but the
base CentOS repo uses Qt3.3. You can find most everything you need from
3rd party repos, and compile the rest, but it's certainly much more than
a 'yum install ...'.

I expect package maintainers are waiting for CentOS 6, then they can
start to work on a CentOSGIS, like UbuntuGIS.
> I already recommend QGis to anyone who asks me, but I can't easily use
> it right now myself!
>
> Thanks gerry

Micha Silver
Arava Development Co. +972-52-3665918