[Qgis-developer] GoogleLayers

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gmail.com
Wed May 5 13:02:01 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Hi all.
> This useful plugin is broken since several weeks, and the author do not respond to my
> requests. Fixing it seems an easy task: can anybody do it?

Hi Paolo,
I was playing with the source code few days ago. This plugin is
demonstrating quite interesting way to  request Google maps with
static API bundled with Google key in each request.  Also nice idea is
to store loaded map tiles as regular files on disk, so 1000 tiles per
day limit should not be so hot.
In other way, it is terribly hardcoded for Windows only usage and many
things can be done in better way. While playing with, I have changed
Windows only code to be usable on Linux, but I would vote for complete
rewrite.

So far, it is nice idea how to use Google maps.

Ivan