[Qgis-developer] GoogleLayers

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Wed May 5 13:14:22 EDT 2010

Hi Paolo & Ivan

Am Mittwoch, 5. Mai 2010 schrieb Ivan Mincik:
> On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 5:17 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:
> > Hi all.
> > This useful plugin is broken since several weeks, and the author do not
> > respond to my requests. Fixing it seems an easy task: can anybody do it?
>
> Hi Paolo,
> I was playing with the source code few days ago. This plugin is
> demonstrating quite interesting way to  request Google maps with
> static API bundled with Google key in each request.  Also nice idea is
> to store loaded map tiles as regular files on disk, so 1000 tiles per
> day limit should not be so hot.
> In other way, it is terribly hardcoded for Windows only usage and many
> things can be done in better way. While playing with, I have changed
> Windows only code to be usable on Linux, but I would vote for complete
> rewrite.

Before rewriting it, have a look at the OpenLayers Plugin from
our http://build.sourcepole.ch/qgis/plugins.xml repo (sources on github).
It still has refreshing issues, which require panning to fix it, but it's
running on Windows and Linux. It uses the regular Google API (via OpenLayers)
and does not store tiles on disk, because that's not allowed by the Google
terms of use.

> So far, it is nice idea how to use Google maps.

Regards
Pirmin

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions