[Qgis-developer] adding encoding file

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Wed May 19 12:17:15 EDT 2010

What timing - I was just wrestling with this yesterday - going *to* Arc.

One problem that I discovered is that if the encoding is set in the DBF header (the LDID value), and which GDAL automatically does when creating shapefiles, Arc ignores the cpg file.  And I think that GDAL uses the wrong value (if it's intended to be UTF-8), since they didn't work in Arc.  I couldn't get a unicode shapefile to work in Arc until I zero'd the DBF LDID and added the cpg file.