[Qgis-developer] Seamless 3D Landscape Explorer...for QGIS

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Wed May 26 15:42:31 EDT 2010

Hi,

I would like to point out the existence of a 3D visualization software
using OGRE [1] and Quantum GIS, it is called Seamless Landscape Explorer
(SLE). It has been in development since at last 2008 [3] by Sébastien
Griffon and Daniel Auclair, both from a french public research
department [2].

This is a virtual visualization tool aiming to help to represent the
evolution of an existing landscape [5] using land use layers, DEM and
orthophotos. These data are manipulated and prepared under QGIS [4]
(selection of the sources, display area, choice of the attributes) and
once ready, are exported to SLE for the 3D part. Each attribute can be
associated to a texture or a 3D model. One should not see it as an
nviz-like but it still is an awesome tool.

The dependencies are Ogre / Qt / Caelum for skys&clouds/ Paged Geometry
/ GDAL / Libnoise / QGIS

I found out about this software only today via a qgis'user on a french
gis board and a quick search had led me to conclude that it could also
be a pleasant surprise for some of you around here. I'll contact these
researchers to get more informations (availability, license, etc.) and
will report it here. Don't forget to watch out the videos [6]!

Regards,
MORREALE Jean Roc

[1] OGRE3D is a 3D C++ engine, more at http://www.ogre3d.org/about
[2] botanic and bioinformatic research unit http://amap.cirad.fr