[Qgis-developer] Python Plugin Manager Enhancements

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon May 31 02:29:27 EDT 2010

A couple of suggestions (I'll attempt to poke at a patch after next week).

It would be great to allow multiple selections in the install/upgrade.
Should be possible to simple change the properties of the widget to
allow multi-select and then to do a loop for each selection using the
current code.

When upgrading a tool that will no longer make it work with the version
of QGIS installed, you should be notified and allowed to keep your
current version.
Example: GDALTools most recent version after selecting upgrade told me
that it now only works with 1.5(which isn't officially release yet), my
only option was to then uninstall. So know I no longer have GDALTools
unless I go find a previous version (not even sure where to look) and
install by hand.
- Possible solution, create a backup copy before install, and offer a
revert option on failed upgrade?
- Warn user before the install the the minimum version has changed and
allow them to cancel with no change.
- Not list the upgrade if the minimum version is above what's installed.
I believe this is how it filters for not yet installed plugins, should
also apply to upgrade listings.

Normally plugin upgrades are relatively safe as they simply fix things
or improve on stuff, to change the minimum required version out from
under people generally seems like a bad idea, especially when it forces
an upgrade to QGIS to a version that is only available via compiling.

Thanks,
Alex