[Qgis-developer] Announcement: PostGIS Versioning System pgversion and QGIS Plugin

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 17:28:12 EST 2010

On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 3:44 PM, Horst Düster <horst.duester at kappasys.ch> wrote:
> I just finished the first beta version of my newly released pgvs support
> system. The idea of this system is to enable the editing of a single
> PostGIS layer concurrently by more than one user at the same time,
> similar to source code versioning systems like CVS or Subversion. You
> will find further informations at:

Congratulations, this is much needed stuff. I wonder why such tools
are not discussed at PostGIS list.

I really admire Your work with one exception, which pushed me to
develop my own tools (based on Your ideas) [1].
What I do not like is, that after enabling version support, all
editing is done against newly created view '<tablename>_version' (and
set of belonging RULES). This works well in all software which doesn't
care if You are loading pure TABLE or VIEW. In my work, we are trying
to support as many GIS client as possible.
For example Manifold GIS is setting read only mode by default, when
tools are unusable. You never knows, when somebody implements similar
behavior in new version of Your software.

One more question, how is the view  '<tablename>_version' performing
in case of huge tables ?

For somebody interested in my work, look here [1] (published source
code is quite outdated)

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/postgis-users@postgis.refractions.net/msg11834.html

Ivan