[Qgis-developer] Python Plugin Repository

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Wed Nov 17 15:22:12 EST 2010

Hi

On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Alex Mandel <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> On 11/17/2010 06:59 AM, Alessandro Pasotti wrote:
>> 2010/11/17 Tim Sutton <lists at linfiniti.com>
>>
>>> Hi (plugin repo) devs
>>>
>>> I have committed a basic django project (it as yet contains no apps)
>>> along with readme license, installation guide etc. Its ready for you
>>> to start building your apps underneath it.
>>>
>>> https://github.com/qgis/qgis-django
>>>
>>> I was thinking along the lines of having three apps:
>>>
>>> plugins
>>> usermap
>>> certification
>>>
>>> i.e. please dont hardwire templates etc. around just the concept of
>>> the plugin repo as we will also develop other functionality within the
>>> same project.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I need to put into focus the requirements of this project, a couple of
>> questions before start writing code:
>>
>> * should we use this page http://www.qgis.org/wiki/PluginRepository for
>> specs or directly put them on github ?

I don't have a particular preference. Do others have an opinion?

>> * a DB dump of the the actual Repository application would be helpful, how
>> can we obtain it ?

Lets ask Gary for it. Gary can you help here?

>> * who wrote the actual application ? Can we get some guidance from the
>> original author (hints, common pitfalls etc.) ?

Gary did. It was written in Ruby on rails if I recall correctly.

>> * what is the purpose of the "certification" app ?

This will be used for managing QGIS certifcation - issuing training
certificates, keeping track of those who are certified and to what
level. At the moment it is vapourware.

>> * since there is a "usermap" application, can we rely on postgis (is it
>> available) on the server ?

It would be nice. Alex answered this below. I never used GeoDjango
with spatialite - if it works ok that would be an option to start with
too.

Regards

Tim

>> Thanks!
>>

> Yes Postgis can be made available on the server, are we sure the load is
> high enough to warrant it over Spatialite? I can't recall if we moved
> the Joomla backend to Postgres, if we did then +1 to add postgis to it.
> If we are still using Mysql then we might want to try keeping the load
> lower with Spatialite.
>
> I believe Gary wrote the previous app and has it hosted on his servers,
> so we'll need to ask him for the dump(hopefully he sees this).
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services