[Qgis-developer] QGIS for winXP

Giuseppe Sucameli sucameli at faunalia.it
Mon Nov 22 14:11:50 EST 2010

Hi Rafael,
you wrote only 2 emails and you got a response to one of them: I unable to
understand what is the problem...

About your emails:

On Mon, Nov 22, 2010 at 5:40 PM, rafael.mejias at sinfogeo.com <
rafael.mejias at sinfogeo.com> wrote:

>  This is what I wrote on November 12:
> *I've been trying to build QGIS with VC++ 2008 Express and I'm following
> the notes [1], but when I build QGIS using the ALL_BUILD target, I always
> get this error:*

*...
> any suggestions?*

In this case, it got no response.

I'm not a Win user, so I cannot help you. BTW there are very few developers
which
used to are on Windows OS, e.g. I've no idea on compiling QGis on Windows.

IMHO it's no reasonable talking about FOSS as well as you do and using Win
for
developing it.

 Here, I wrote on November 3:
> I would like to start with QSIG+QT in Windows XP. Now, I am trying to make
> a plugin with c++ in QT creator. Does anybody have an example of .pro file?
>

> In this case, only Matt just told me, but the problem was still there.
> Thanks Matt.

Matthew replied to you explaining a lot of things about plugin developing.
Here your response:

*Thank you for your response Matt. I will try it.

*No other emails... It seems you solved the problem, but now you say that
the
problem is still there! Why you didn't reply again?
There are no magicians here...

 I'm sure the people on the list trying to help, but I think these problems
> are very common error, however, we are not getting good solutions. Perhaps
> because we are not very explicit (Rafa, Muhammad, Vanessa, ..)

One of the latest Hasan's email about python plugins and indentation errors
got >6 replies... And people wrote a lot of solutions.

But the very problem is that this thread it's just 4 hours old and your
email is just
3 hours old...
Furthermore the Hasan's email its not related to your previous emails, so
why
did you reply to this thread?

Here your message:
*
I have the same problems and I wrote many times to this list but I have not
received
good answers.*

You wrote:
1. "the same problems", untrue because the .pro file it's a different
problem.
2. "many times", untrue because it's just one (even through the .pro file
it's a
different problem)
3. "good answers" is enough different from "no answers"

IMHO yes. If you like to talk about gvSIG, go to its ML ;)

I think for community growth QGis (like the entire FOSS) is important for
> knowledge sharing.

Sure, but the knowledge sharing is not "You must share" but "I wanna share".
You cannot pretend someone helps you...

To ALL: sorry for both the noise and my long email. I hate trolls...

Cheers.

 El 22/11/2010 17:02, Carson Farmer escribió:

>  Hi Muhammad, I have the same problems and I wrote many times to this list
> but I have not received good answers. When there are problems, tutorials
> don`t work and we need help from the community.
>
>  I am sorry to hear that you have had problems getting help from the
> community, normally the QGIS devs and users are quite ready and
> willing to provide help, and are generally much more friendly than
> most mailing lists. They do however require a minimal level of help
> from you (the poster) as well:
>
> In Hasan's case, I think we'll probably need more information about
> the problem that he is having before we'll be able to help him. Most
> developers are busy people, and without a reproducible example or test
> case to work with, we are unlikely to be able to help during the
> limited spare time that we have. Things to think about when asking
> questions are: What is your operating system (obviously in this case
> it is Win XP), What versions of the various bits of software are you
> running (in this case Muhammad has provided this information already),
> and what *exactly* is the problem that you are experiencing. It is not
> clear from the original email what the problem is. Is the plugin that
> you are having trouble with one of your own, or is it one of the many
> plugins available via the plugin installer? It sounds like it is one
> of your own plugins, in which case, what exactly is the error message
> that you are getting when trying to load it in QGIS? Have you followed
> the tutorials provided for building PyQGIS plugins? When does the
> error occur (during QGIS startup, when trying to activate the plugin,
> during execution of plugin code)?
>
> If you would like a complete and 'good' answer, then you'll have to
> provide us with more information, and 'good' examples of your problem.
> If you post a snippet of code that seems to be giving you issues, then
> devs and other users are more likely to to able to help (and want to
> help), because they can simply fire up their QGIS, and paste some code
> into the Python console or similar. Help us help you!
>
> Regards,
>
> Carson
>

>  Anybody has experinece to use QGIS with windows XP operating system ?
> becasue i am using QGIS1.4.0 with windows XP and since one month i am facing
> problem to open plug-in in QGIS and its really a big problem for me,
> whenever i want to opne plugin the QGIS give me some python error.
>
> therefore, if anybody has experience then could you please write to me what
> is required to use QGIS with winXP, basically i need create python plug-in
> for QGIS.
>
> best reagrds
> Hasan

Giuseppe Sucameli