[Qgis-developer] loading PostGIS layers

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gista.sk
Wed Nov 24 06:20:57 EST 2010

On 11/23/2010 07:08 PM, cavallini at faunalia.it wrote:
> Sounds great, but:
> - it means duplicating work
> - it will to be kept in sync with upstream postgis changes
> - it does not allow writing sql dumps, useful for users without direct access to db.
> Thoughts?
> ---
> http://faunalia.it/pc

I would vote for option number 1, since it would be much more cleaner
way as to convert data to SHP and than catch output of some third party
binary (shp2pgsql). And it can provide much more benefit (like exporting
all supported vector formats, not only SHP ...).

Also:
- 'shp2pgsql '  has some limits coming out of Shapefile nature like 8
character column name ...
- in some cases, You can get different/corrupted data when exporting to SHP
- 'shp2pgsql ' has some bugs, You should always keep latest version
- I am not sure about UTF8 support in DBF in all cases
- SHP is rather obsolete format and in general it  would be fine not to
hard wire  export feature to it

--
Ivan Mincik, Gista s.r.o.