[Qgis-developer] what support of ecw after new release

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sat Oct 16 09:03:37 EDT 2010

On Oct 16, 2010, at 7:23 AM, Giovanni Manghi wrote:

> Hi Andrea,
>

>> I need to understand if with the dismission of qgis 1.5 for qgis 1.6.
>> will be lost forever the capability to read the ecw .
>
> it is needed the gdal17-ecw package in the osgeo4w installer, as the new
> sdk from Erdas is now available.
>
> I don't know the situation about linux/osx (that interest more to me).

Right, ECW support is dependent on GDAL and has nothing to do with a specific QGIS version (other than which version of GDAL it uses).

One thing about the *new* ECW SDK v4 is that so far (and very likely forever) it is Windows-only.  Everyone else is stuck with the partly working (at least on OS X) and now-hard-to-find v3.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

The equator is so long, it could encircle the earth completely once.