[Qgis-developer] Release plans for QGIS 1.6

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Sat Oct 16 14:09:47 EDT 2010

Hi Tim,

On Sat, 16. Oct 2010 at 01:42:54 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
> We (the PSC) recently received a threat of legal action against our
> use of the word 'Tethys' in the naming of the 1.5 release of QGIS.
> It seems that the word Tethys is trademarked by a company in one country.
> Although we feel their case is weak, we do not have the time, money or
> inclination to engage in a legal battle over this.

Does OSGeo have a position on this?  I thought the OSGeo umbrella was also
covering legal support.

Just curious - that would probably be a waste of time of resources anyway.

> This has a few implications:

> - The PSC has agreed to stop using planetary moons as the names for
> our releases, and embark on a new theme of using extremely obscure
> place names (e.g. the mythical Tweebuffelsmeteenskootgeskietfontein in
> South Africa).

Do we need codenames at all?   Any name - obscure or not - could be a
trademark.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden