[Qgis-developer] The new QGIS plugin repo

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 18:46:19 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it> wrote:
> Il 21/08/2010 10:06, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
>
>> Just a PSC perspecitive note on this, I think it will be useful when
>> discussions are complete to simply summarise discussions and submit
>> that summary as a proposal to the PSC for approval. In general the
>> requirements (SVN, plugin specific access controls etc) are all doable
>> but probably not easily on osgeo infrastructure due to the high admin
>> load it will incurr. So an option would be to host the svn repo
>> withing the QGIS.org VM.
>>
>> I was wondering as well if this isnt a good place to start our first
>> steps in using GIT?
>
> Hi all.
> Am I the only one to perceive the need for a plugin trac+svn (or git)?
> If we decide we need it, it would be much better to have it in place before the
> hackfest, so we can start hacking around it in Wroklaw.

I completely agree that having an infrastructure for easy development
and bug tracking for plugins would help the authors with deployment
and cooperation.

Still I see several issues that have to be resolved in order to have
the repository working. Let's concentrate on the idea of having SVN
repository for the plugins. The repository would automatically update
its XML file with the list of available plugins. Some of the important
questions:
- what users should be granted write access to this SVN?
- who would manage the permissions to the individual plugins?
- should we require all plugins to be within this SVN repository or
allow 'external' ones?
- how to deal with official/contributed plugins?

There were also thoughts about introducing an infrastructure that
would enable to count number of downloads and user ratings - this
would probably require development of a web application that would
present this information.

We should maybe have a look around how other projects deal with the
infrastructure and security model for plugins - Firefox, KDE etc.

Regards
Martin