[Qgis-developer] The new QGIS plugin repo

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Oct 21 12:52:26 EDT 2010

On 10/21/2010 01:39 AM, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 21. Oktober 2010, um 10.20:01 schrieb Paolo Cavallini:
>> Il 21/10/2010 10:08, Pirmin Kalberer ha scritto:
>>> My proposal would be to start with a github account as a central SCM for
>>> QGIS plugins. Similar to http://github.com/grails-plugins
>>> (http://grails.org/plugin/home) e.g. Write access can then still be
>>> granted per-plugin.
>>> Having Redmine would give the advantage of having sub-projects.
>>> Organizing plugins as sub-projects means, that each plugin has their own
>>> trac-like site but tickets are also collected on master-project level
>>> (e.g. qgis-plugins).
>>
>> Redmine looks wonderful, thanks for the review.
>> One thing that worries me is: changing from the current structure for bug
>> reports, committing etc. to a new one could discourage develpers and users
>> alike (remember, most people are lazy).
>
> I'm a lazy developer, too ;-) But do we only want to attract grey-haired GIS
> experts with long time CVS (you remember?) experience? In about two years from
> now you will have to explain people how this non-distributed SCM called SVN is
> working ;-)
>
>> Other issue: what should be installed on OSGeo servers? I think we have
>> some limitations there.
>
> AFAIK we have virtual machines there. I would volunteer in setting up a
> Redmine instance using the OSGeo LDAP logins. In our company we migrated all
> Trac instances to one Redmine installation more than two years ago.
>

> Pirmin

I'm not opposed to trying Redmine, but I do like the simplicity of
http://trac-hacks.org/
Each plugin gets one wiki page(more if they need) and one folder in the
svn, really simple and straightforward. No real need for elaborate sites
per plugin.

I'm also unconcerned about SVN going away any time soon, or trac for
that matter: both are well used/known. I would feel more comfortable if
more than one QGIS web admin knows Redmine well, since we know trac is
well understood by OSGeo Admins.

QGIS has it's own VM on the OSGeo machines, so anything the PSC is
willing to try is fair game. There's also the adhoc VM for more
experimental stuff.

Thanks,
Alex