[Qgis-developer] Problem loading Vector Layer

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Mon Oct 25 17:37:21 EDT 2010

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 4:45 PM, Jitendra kumar
<jitendra.harlalka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>     I am new to Python binding for QGIS. I have been having problem in
> getting a Vector Layer to be loaded. I typed the following on python
> console:

> Failed to load
>
> The output is "Failed to load" which isn't very helpful and doesn't specify
> the cause. I am not sure what is the problem. I have confirmed that filepath
> is correct and the shp file can be opened in QGIS. I would appreciate if
> someone could help me solve the problem.

Are you using python console within QGIS or do you open the python
interpreter from a terminal? In the latter case, you would have to
initialize qgis core library first by calling
QgsApplication.initQgis() otherwise it will not find the data
providers necessary for opening vector layers.

http://www.qgis.org/pyqgis-cookbook/intro.html#using-pyqgis-in-custom-application

Martin