[Qgis-developer] ftools geometry check

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 12:11:27 EDT 2010

On 31 October 2010 16:04, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:

> Hi Carson,
>
> On Sun, 31. Oct 2010 at 15:15:23 +0000, Carson Farmer wrote:
> >    I would actually much prefer it if people didn't use the check
> geometry
> >    tool at all :-p It was never really meant to be a long-term tool (I
> really
> >    just created it at the time to be a quick and dirty way to find issues
> >    with shapefiles), and I know that Martin and his team have created a
> much
> >    better geometry checker (in C++) that is kicking around somewhere that
> >    would be much better suited to most users needs. In actual fact, there
> is
> >    no attempt to follow OGC standards in the ftools geometry validity
> tool!
> >    @ Martin: What is the status of your geometry checking tool? Is there
> >    anyway that this might be incorporated into trunk somehow? I think it
> >    would be much better to have something a bit more compliant, stable,
> and
> >    with a few more of the features that have been mentioned in this
> thread
> >    (some of which I think Martin's tool already has).
>
> Hm, then we have three.  I made QgsGeometry::validateGeometry(), when I
> needed
> to fix a bunch of polygons and found that the node tool refused to edit
> broken
> geometry at all.

Hmm, ok, didn't notice this change. I'll have a look, and see if I can
update the geometry validity tool to use this functionality. Thanks for the
info Jürgen! Shouldn't be too hard to use this function, plus add some of
the suggested features to make the tool a bit more useful.

Carson

--
> Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           Rheinstraße 13            Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer         D-26506 Norden
> http://www.norbit.de
>
> --
> norBIT Gesellschaft fuer Unternehmensberatung und Informationssysteme mbH
> Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden
> GF: Jelto Buurman, HR: Amtsgericht Emden, HRB 5502

Carson J. Q. Farmer
ISSP Doctoral Fellow
National Centre for Geocomputation
National University of Ireland, Maynooth,
http://www.carsonfarmer.com/