[Qgis-developer] Bringing the raster processing algorithms of the Orfeo Toolbox Monteverdi in QGIS

Marco Hugentobler marco.hugentobler at sourcepole.ch
Fri Sep 3 04:20:35 EDT 2010

Hi Manuel

Wow, OTB looks like a very powerfull set of tools and it will certainly be a
great addition to have a plugin for them in QGIS.

> The proposed architecture is to develop an otbprovider in QGIS modeled
> after the WMSProvider to be able  to add a streamed otb raster layer in
> the Qgis viewer

It is possible to add other raster providers besides the WMS one (see e.g. the
grass raster provider in src/providers/grass/qgsgrassrasterprovider).
There is however only drawing support available, e.g. it is not possible to
access the raster values itself through the raster provider interface (but you
probably don't need that anyway). The raster system would need some redisign
for a real generic raster provider support.
PluginLayer (as mentioned by Pirmin) would be another possibility. But then
you cannot use the desktop tools working on raster layer on them (e.g. raster
properties dialog, raster symbolisation, raster stat).

Looking forward to meet you at the FOSS4G conference.

Regards,
Marco

--
Dr. Marco Hugentobler
Webereistrasse 66, 8134 Adliswil, Switzerland