[Qgis-developer] Handling of fuzzy boundaries

Stefan Keller sfkeller at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 05:41:23 EDT 2010

Dear Tim

Thanks for your reply. I'm one of the coaches of this thesis.

> Right - one could probably apply blur effects and similar to lines to
> represent their fuzzyness - Qt4 already has some infrastructure for this
> kind of thing e.g.
> http://doc.qt.nokia.com/4.6/qgraphicsdropshadoweffect.html#details

=> Is this also accessible through Python (plugin)?

> I'm not sure about using two separate layers as you describe above - it
> might be nicer to make fuzziness simply an attribute of the feature -
> though I guess it doesnt cope well for the scenario where individual
> segments of a feature have different fuzziness levels...

In fact, the fuzziness attribute has to be somehow 'attached' to segments.
In the use cases I know often there are some segments along the
boundary which are not fuzzy but crisp on purpose.
An example might be where a street touches the fuzzy feature.
So since segments of a polygon can't be accessed from 'outside' one
solution might be to have a "shadow" layer which consists of
polylines.

=> Do you have another idea on how to implement such "line segment
atttributes" in QGIS?

Yours, S.