[Qgis-developer] SAGA Interface

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Sat Apr 2 05:00:27 EDT 2011

Il giorno ven, 01/04/2011 alle 18.28 -0400, Camilo Polymeris ha scritto:

> That could be an option, yes. But they haven't done it, and I don't
> know if they would be interested. One of us could step up and offer
> packaging to SAGA, but I am not that experienced in packaging issues
> and distro-related complications.

You do not have to do everything. If the project is successful, others
will jump in and help.

> The saga wiki suggest using saga_cmd through python, which would need
> no recompilation, but would limit us to non-interactive plugins. Maybe
> that isn't so much of an issue, and would be easier.

Simplicity is the way to happyness.

> There is a third case: Using saga_cmd through python.
> This is the easiest in term of programming effort, I think. But is
> limited to non-interactive plugins, as I said before, and but would
> require a full saga installation.

Sounds good. Very similar to the GRASS approach, I guess.

> You are right, and bring up some interesting arguments. You are
> starting to convince me. :)

Great.

> Maybe I could even start with saga_cmd only (option 3) and later add
> support for interactive modules using the python api (if available),
> option 2.
> What do you think of that?
> Less elegant than a C++ solution, but much easier.

As QGIS grows in complexity, it will become increasingly difficult to
maintain too many different functions. So the KISS principle applies
here. We need new functions that are not only interesting and useful,
but also sustainable in the long term with the limited developer
resources we have.

> Many thanks for your comments, I feel this has been a productive discussion.

Glad if I can help.

All the best.
--
http://www.faunalia.it/pc