[Qgis-developer] GDAL tools - rasterize

Ramon Andinach custard at westnet.com.au
Sat Apr 2 22:29:22 EDT 2011

On 03/04/2011, at 09:40 , Ramon Andinach wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am attempting to use the GDAL tools plugin (a core plugin) to generate a raster from a vector.
> It should be Raster -> Rasterize
>
> When I want to select a file to save the output into, I'm getting confused.
> Following SOP, I press the select button, browse to the right place and type my filename in.
> But the button that is normally named "save" stays greyed out.
>
> Now, the button that is normally "save" says "open" which seems odd.
>
> Am I going about this right?
>
> If I am, can anyone confirm this?

I forgot to say:
1.7 on linux r 15655M
using GDAL tool 1.2.25

Ok, and I'm going to have a stab at answering my own question.
On my linux box QGIS is compiled against 1.6.3, which means gdal_rasterize can't make it's own rasters. Hence, open not save.
Sorry for the dumb-user question.

Related to this, in windows-land the osgeo installer has me up to 1.8 (so on windows GDAL can make a new image).
Is my linux install a bit backward?
I would have thought using different library versions on different platforms would be adding complexity?

> -ramon.
(user)