[Qgis-developer] search and catalog tool

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Mon Apr 4 16:17:10 EDT 2011

Saw this thing on a few blogs today:

http://freegeographytools.com/2011/search-and-catalog-your-local-geodata-arcgis-users-only

and of course seeing 'arcgis only' made me think that a similar tool
that used gdal/ogr and interfaced to qgis (and other mapping packages)
would be rather good.

I recall starting to write something similar, but discovered so many
spatial data sets appeared twice - for example a directory with
shapefiles in it is seen by OGR as a data set with each shapefile a
layer, and the shapefiles themselves appear as data sets in their own
right. I think I stopped there (I'm easily beaten).

 But I have a vague recall that someone else has worked on something
similar. Or did I dream it?

Barry