[Qgis-developer] PostGIS connections: take them from PgAdmin3?

Mayeul Kauffmann mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Fri Apr 22 16:10:29 EDT 2011

Hi,
I found the idea appealing and apparently quite simple to implement. On
second thought, there are a few issues (nothing blocking, but some
work):

- If you have 30 databases on 3 local servers (e.g. dev, testing, prod)
and only one of those databases has tables with spatial objects, you do
not want to list them all in qgis. So you should be given the choice.

- This relies on knowing where this pgadmin config file is. I guess it
is in ~/pgadmin3 in most GNU/Linux box. Is the pgadmin config file
stored in a predictable place in Windows? You should be given the
possibility to choose your config file.

- In any case this should be optional (you should be able to configure
it manually, and you still need to give a password if you are not using
a socket or another method of authentification).

My 3 cents.

Mayeul